BEFORE YOU SIGN ANY DEAL … we’ve all been there. Post-release, after-the-fact, “I-wishing” yourself with questions you should have asked, details you should have found out before signing a distribution deal. No deal is perfect. No release is either, even on the best campaigns. Here’s one thing you need: clarity. Get answers to basic questions before you go all-in with any distributor.
1. What’s the cap on marketing expenses?
2. Does the marketing cap cover internal or external expenses?
3. How often will you provide a sales report?
4. When will I see your marketing and publicity plan?
5. If we have agencies or individuals we recommend, can we include them in the campaign?
6. May I see a sample marketing plan from a previous campaign?
7. How much time will you spend on my film?
8. How many films do you distribute a year?
9. What’s the average length of time before your films start receiving revenue?
10. Will you hire an outside publicist?
11. Who is handling social media?
12. How would you describe my film?
13. Who do you identify as the film’s audience?
14. Does your fee include fees from sub-distributors?
15. What are your ideas for helping my film cut through the noise?
16. Will I have a say in the creative, such as poster, trailer, title, and other decisions?
17. Will you consider shortening the length of the term?
18. How will we receive updates? How often will we have team calls?
19. How much time is needed for marketing and distribution before a release?
20. How involved do you expect me to be with the release of the film?
(C) Aspiration Entertainment, 2020